The application portal opens January 24th. The application deadline is February 18th.
All applications must be submitted digitally with attachments.
Artists living in Norway, or Norwegian artists who live and work abroad are eligible to apply to take part in the exhibition. The exhibition has free submission. It is not a requirement that applicants have an art degree or are members of an artists organisation. Artist groups or collaborative projects can apply through one representative. Descendants of deceased artists may apply on the deceased behalf in the first year following an artist’s death.
It is possible to apply once every year, and you may apply with three artworks/projects.
Applicants are encouraged to apply with new works, i.e. works produced during the last two years.
All applications are considered by The National Jury (DNJ). The jury consists of six artists who are elected for a period of two years by the members of the Association of Norwegian Visual Artists (NBK). DNJ has the overall artistic responsibility for the exhibition. The jury’s decisions do not require justification, and can not be overruled.
The jury evaluate applications based on digital documentation. You may be contacted during the selection process if the jury has questions about your work.
Members of DNJ 2022: Stacy Brafield, Åsil Bøthun, Marius Moldvær, Gelawesh Waledkhani, Apichaya Wanthiang og Maya Økland.
Specifications for documentation and attachments for the online application
- File format: .jpg, .jpeg, rtf. or .pdf
- Recommended file size: 2 MB pr. image file (min. 72 dpi)
- Recommended: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
- File names should be as follows: Tittle_year of production (e.g.: View_2022.jpg).
- Files containing detail images should be named: detail_Title_year of production (e.g.: detail_View_2022.jpg).
- Two-dimensional works should be documented with one image per work.
- Three-dimensional works (sculpture, installations etc.) should be documented with plural images, it is possible to upload a total of six images in the application form. Documentation of three dimensional works should give an impression of materials, dimensions and space. For example one image of the work in relation to a person, one overview image and one detail image. If video documentation is available, please upload the link in a pdf.
- A series of works (for example, a photo series) is regarded as one work. Please attach an overview image of the series and a selection of individual images.
- Video links and password for online videos has to be valid throughout October 2022.
- If applying with video-, sound- or performance works specify duration and how the work should be exhibited (projector, monitor, loop, point in time, frequency etc.)
- Send us a link to the complete work.
- If the duration of the work is more then 15 minutes, please send an excerpt of about 3 minutes in a separate link.
- The files will be played in VLC or QuickTime if they have to be downloaded.
- If works are submitted as physical units, such as flash drives, they will not be returned.
- Stills from video etc. should be named as follows: still_Title_year of production (e.g.: still image_View_2022.jpg).
- All applicant are responsible for acquiring permission if sampling other artists work. This includes e.g. the use of other artists music, still or moving image material etc.
- A project description is only necessary if the artistic project is not fully presented through visual documentation, such as performances, installations, site-specific works, text-based works, conceptual works and other project-based forms of expression.
Attachments sent by mail
should be sent to the following address:
Norske billedkunstnere v/Høstutstillingen
If you are sending attachments by post, please do not send it as a registered (“rekommandert” in Norwegian) shipment with the postal service. Please use a shipping service that provides a tracking number for the shipment. Attachments sent by mail will not be returned, but can be picked up by appointment at NBK’s office by May 1st 2022.
If your work is included in the exhibition, you have to plan for it to be delivered at Kunstnernes Hus on August 18th or 19th 2022. The 135th National Art Exhibition, The Autumn Exhibition 2022 opens September 10th.
More information regarding delivery of works and a written contract with conditions for installment and exhibiting will be sent to participating artists after evaluation.